Tuesday, 28 January 2014
Singapore’s urban farming industry blossoms. (13, 8 11). Retrieved from http://investvine.com/singapores-urban-farming-industry-blossoms/
Zsuzsi, F., & Shelby , T. (2012). Vancouver urban farming society. Retrieved from http://www.urbanfarmers.ca/publications/reports/
Luke , I. (12, 10 6). Urban farm or fancier phone? how you can start a productive homestead for less than the cost of an iphone 5. Retrieved from http://thenextweb.com/lifehacks/2012/10/06/farm-or-fancier-phone/
Katherine, K. (2009, May 1). Watch for these obstacles in starting an urban farm. Retrieved from http://www.growingformarket.com/articles/start-an-urban-farm
Laskow, S. (2012, June 6). How to start an urban farm in a post-industrial city. Retrieved from http://www.good.is/posts/how-to-start-an-urban-farm-in-a-post-industrial-city
Tuesday, 21 January 2014
Wikipedia. (2014, January 22). Urban agriculture. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_agriculture
What is Urban Farming?
What is Urban Farming?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Urban agriculture can reflect varying levels of economic and social development. In the global north it often takes the form of a social movement for sustainable communities, where organic growers, ‘foodies’ and ‘locavores’ form social networks founded on a shared ethos of nature and community holism. These networks can evolve when receiving formal institutional support, becoming integrated into local town planning as a ‘transition town’ movement for sustainable urban development. In the developing south, food security, nutrition and income generation are key motivations for the practice. In either case, more direct access to fresh vegetables, fruits, and meat products through urban agriculture can improve food security and food safety.
1. Sidewalk , S. (2014, January 22). Benefits of urban farming. Retrieved from http://sidewalksprouts.wordpress.com/ua/benefits/
(Sidewalk , 2014)
2. RUAF. (2014, January 22). Why is urban agriculture important?. Retrieved from http://www.ruaf.org/node/513
3. Science, D. (2013, September 17). Urban agriculture: The potential and challenges of producing food in cities. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130917123607.htm
4. Jane, B. (2014, January 22). Growing communities: Integrating the social and economic benefits of urban agriculture in cape town. Retrieved from https://www.academia.edu/3158967/Growing_Communities_Integrating_the_Social_and_Economic_Benefits_of_Urban_Agriculture_in_Cape_Town
5. Sam, W. (2013, September 17). Urban agriculture: The potential and challenges of producing food in cities. Retrieved from https://www.agronomy.org/news-media/releases/2013/0917/594
Sunday, 12 January 2014
IDEAS FOR IRS
- Research on water quality in Singapore -Water filtration/distillation
- Research on agriculture -Terrace farming/Urban agriculture
- Research on efficiency of sustainable electricity -Build a generator powered by sustainable sources.
- Research on the position of the Sun in different times of day -Build a solar panel that is shaped to catch the most sunlight